Friday, November 19, 2010

The last thing

Like people, once you trust technology too much that trust can stab you in the back.

OK, so I'm sitting here trying to enjoy an mp3 on my rather dated Pentium D system and i get all these dropouts.   I'm thinking it's low level drive read errors, and I've also noticed that from time to time i'll get freezes.   CPU utilization is low to medium, and I'm using Winamp, not some bloated iTunes client.  I'm not even running Vuze right now.   This isn't some flac file off my slow NAS box, this is locally stored mp3 on a defragged non-system drive.   Close everything, and load the mp3 in Adobe Audition - with full visualizations now I'm taking up 60% CPU watching a waveform fly across two adjacent HD monitors - crystal clear sound.  I go to gigabyte, download the latest HD Audio Azalea driver, cut down from 24 bits / 48000 to 16 bit / 48000 and try again - no real change.  Decide I'm going to listen to Pandora instead to avoid drive accesses - I've got 4 gigs of RAM, and it gets WORSE.   Notice 4 days of uptime, restart firefox to clear out a couple hundred megs of RAM - a little improvement.   I put up with it and curse Vista, for a while - then I load IE 9 beta, and crystal clear.  MS's BETA software.  Not even a full release - a beta - and not a single dropout!     Firefox was running while I was in Winamp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment