Wednesday, June 10, 2009

priceline and boston pride...

The big debate - do I get a room for Boston Pride?
If I'm going to the Roxy, the answer is yes. I'll need one. I'll need to change my clothes, take a shower, rest my feet, make a cocktail and count my funds in this recession. I'm going to leave it to fate. Not actual, hotel room falling in my lap fate, but the computerized, does the hotel really want you kind of fate. That's where I love priceline. I know I'm good at it, because sometimes the room gods have said, "thou shalt not save money on a room this weekend" and the urban centers keep their $300 retail rooms. But sometimes, I see a truly magnificent deal, like the $38 a night in montreal for that last trip with the person who shall not be named. If the hotel gods, at least the hotel gods as priceline understands them (sorry I was forced into AA for a short while), grant my wish, then I'm resting in an upmarket downtown boston hotel, for no more than $80 a night. Under no circumstance however, will I let a hotel eat up more than 25% of my budget for this weekend. My budget for the weekend is $400. Why? Because I'm paying admission for 2 for the block party, beer for two, gas, parking, food for 2 and if I get a room, we'll want to go to the Roxy or *something* that's pridey. On a discount we could swap the Roxy for a lesser priced event. If I don't have at least $80 in my pocket and 2 Roxy tickets in hand ($140 in itself right there) then there is no point in staying in the city that night. Cutting out the $50 light lunch for two at Club Cafe, and feasting on $3 Fritz block party fare, should pay for half the hotel room right there. However, the hotel room isn't worth it if there isn't the financial staying power to do all of Saturday boston pride, but then again I've been burnt by not having the walking power to do pride late into the night... Plus, the respite from all the walking isn't the same unless there are several options of mixed beverages to be prepared, and the requisite ice to do so with.

Expenses: immediate: parking, up to $30. With all the walking, i'd park at the garage on Clarendon, money be damned.
Fritz admission for two: Believed to be $30.
Beers, grill grub for two, gratuities: $70 over 4 - 5 hours.
T tokens for two: $8 - 10.
BYO Beverage service for two, for in the room: $30.
Total so far: $170.
Roxy tickets, 2 in advance: $65.
Money for Roxy: $75 minimum.
Total so far: $310.

That's the key, can I get a room for $90 with tax and fees included?

I think I can, and I'm going to try. If the priceline gods grant me $75... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment